To create a strong network of people is essential to help you succeed in your career. You should start in your early days of college and update it constantly, by adding new relevant connections. Networking is as important as having a good resume. You may have all the required skills and knowledge to help you in your career. But you also need a strong network around you to help you connect with the right people for you.
To build an efficient network, you need to find the right people and engage with them. There are many ways through which you can build and maintain a network of people that can give you advice and guidance whenever you need it.
Here are some pieces of advice that can help you build a strong network of people:
- Choose the right people- when it comes to networking, it is more about quality of the people and not the quantity. You have to look for those who are relevant to your career perspectives and who can help you advance.
- Focus on giving and receiving- whenever you offer someone advice, they will be grateful and will want to return the favor, whenever you may need it. That is the advantage of an efficient network. When you choose to give your support to someone from you network, you leave the door open for the same opportunity.
- Use social media networks in your advantage- social networks are not just for fun. They can also be used to connect with relevant people and create a professional network. LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are perfect examples that can be more than just basic social media tools. They are great databases of people who work in the same industry as you and who have more experience than you do. You can connect and receive advice and follow their updates.
- Connect and reconnect- in order to create a good network, you have to do more than just connect with people. You have to maintain a certain relationship and reconnect with them whenever you have the time. It is important to maintain a certain relationship and engagement.
- Win/win situations- everyone is looking for benefits from any circumstances. It is always about having something to gain from a certain experience or collaboration. That is why creating a win/win situation should be a priority. This way, you will increase your chances of creating a long-term relationship.
From early days of college, if you are a focused person who thinks about future plans, you are likely to start building a career of relevant people. To create a strong network is not hard; it is harder to maintain it and grow it. Day by day, you should expand your list of connections and learn something from them. Exchange ideas and advice, learn something new and teach others in return. All these and you are one step closer to building a successful career.