You can never know what life has planned for you. Same applies when falling in love. You never know when it can happen or who you fall in love with. Although you don’t see yourself in a long-distance relationship, you can’t switch off your feelings simply because your partner may have to move to a different place for a while.
Love is one of those feelings that makes our lives better, fulfilled and happier. It’s a deep feeling and connection with someone you get attached to and feel like he or she completes you. Have you met that person you can be your true self when you are together? That person you feel like sharing all the good and bad news with? Do you know how it feels when you cannot let one day pass without seeing or talking to that person? If the answer is yes, then you know what being in love means.
Long-distance relationships are not something ideal. No one asks for them and everyone hopes to never get in that situation. However, life and love are unpredictable and you can never know what they may bring in for you. Sometimes a good opportunity can occur for your partner and it can come with a plane ticket to a different country. What happens next? No one ever said it is going to be easy to make it work. But just as tough as it may seem, you can make it work as long as you are committed to it.
Long-distance relationship advice
Stay positive and optimistic about it! If you choose to see the upside of this situation, you will be able to manage your relationship and feelings better. It’s not an easy situation or a pleasant one but it is doable.
- Focus on trust and communication- trust and communication are key elements in every relationship. They can make it work or they can take it down. These become even stronger and more important when you and your partner have to go through a long-distance relationship. You have to learn to trust each other even more than before and communicate better and openly about your feelings and thoughts. There is no room left for doubts or second thoughts. Whatever you feel or think, you have to learn to talk about it.
- Respect the long-distance reason and support each other- usually the reason why couples are apart are related to money, work or school. No one chooses to simply leave unless there is a good reason. It is important to respect each other and the reason why you are apart. Support is something essential when you try to make your relationships work. It will show your partner that you are committed and willing to help him or her grow, no matter the challenges you may face on the road.
- Boring becomes the new interesting- remember those boring details you used to let out of your conversations? It is time to bring them in. When you are apart, you should talk and communicate even about the slightest and smallest things. Small details will not seem so small and boring anymore. They will become interesting and help you open up more and communicate more efficiently.
You can make it work!
- Make sure you still have the same goals- when you are in a long-term relationship, you make plans and try to frame a future together. Even though you may be apart now, those plans shouldn’t change. But if that happens, you owe it to each other to talk about it and let the other person know. It is easier to handle a relationship that is long distance when you agree that it is only a temporary situation. You need to talk continually about whether your expectations have changed and what the outcome will be.
- Visit each other whenever the opportunity arrives- it can be a weekend getaway, but it could be the best weekend you had in a while. All the anticipation and excitement of seeing your loved one after a long time is worth every penny. When you meet after a time of being apart, every single small detail and activity you choose to do together will be lived at a higher intensity. You will not have time to think about all tiny disagreements you might have had before. Instead, you will focus on taking in every minute spent together and discussing all those things that could not be talked about over the phone.
A long-distance relationship that is meant to work will always find a way to make it through hard times. As long as both partners are committed to it, they will find a solution to overcome everything. As the saying goes “Apart by distance, but never by heart”, strong connection and love can make it through. And it will grow even stronger and more unbreakable.
Read more about how you can build a healthy relationship here!